Thursday 23 April 2015

Experimenting

It's always said that people experiment in collage; sorry, that's meant to be college but it's actually more correct in this instance...


Today I decided to create a fold up dollhouse book, similar to those you got in the Victorian times which were a backdrop that stood up allowing "rooms" for playing in with dolls. It was, in the most honest term, an utter experiment; and it went utterly tits-up. The hinge was too big, the pages didn't close more than 90 degrees, and each page resembled a house background only if you were giving some artistic license. A lot of artistic license, really.


But that's okay, really, because it was fun doing it and I tried out some new ideas. They didn't work, but that's all part of the process! 
For one thing, the cardboard I'd chosen was too flimsy for such rigorous application of materials. For another thing, I hadn't thoroughly planned my design for each page through, which can sometimes turn out really nice but in this case turned out messy and uncoordinated. I really hate them.

I think I might try again in fabric next time; a textile book or quilt book, maybe backed by Vylene or some thick wadding. I've not given up on the idea yet!


Well, it was worth a try, and I'll give them to mum to see if she can do anything with them in her masterful manner.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to not stop experimenting; sometimes things go wrong, and you hate what you have made; I wanted to post this to show that it does happen, because if you read magazines and blogs like I do you can be rather overcome with post after post of perfect works of art and you begin to think maybe you make more mistakes than others. Mistakes happen. To everyone.

And if you're wondering why I'm talking in such an affectatious tone, I've just binge-watched an entire season of Hercule Poirot by Agatha Christie and I've come over all vintage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment